Cilantro rice is so good it can be eaten alone or as an accompaniment to pretty much anything you’d like for example fish, chicken or even inside a burrito. Cilantro is one of my favorite herbs, it is inexpensive and so tasty and wonderful in this rice. Cilantro adds a freshness and flavor that is unique while the garlic gives it boldness. This recipe has great strong flavors and is easily doubled or as I have had to do with a big extended family tripled.
2 cups packed cilantro leaves
5 garlic cloves
3 1/3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion diced
2 cups long-grain white rice
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1. Combine cilantro, garlic and 2 broth in a blender and process until smooth; set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
3. Add rice and salt stir to coat in oil and cook until rice becomes opaque, about 2 minutes.
4. Carefully pour the cilantro mixture into the rice and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low so rice is at a simmer.
5. Cover and cook until rice is tender, about 25 minutes.